Willkommen in unserer Community
Möchtest du dem Forum beitreten? Das gesamte Angebot ist kostenlos.
Registrieren
Cosy Beach Club
Smurf Bar
Joe

Motorrad Tour Koh Kho Khao - Paradise Island in Phang Nga Province

You know what they say:

"Call some place paradise and kiss it goodbye"

I sure hope that won't be the case with Koh Kho Khao, an island 130km north of Phuket.

I live in Phuket but in order to truly enjoy beaches and relax with my family far away from rowdy crowds, Khao Lak and Koh Kho Khao are the two obvious nearby choices.

This was my third trip to Koh Kho Khao island. Usually I bring some of my European rider friends for lunch and leave in afternoon. This time I decidedto spend 3 nights and switch-off completely.

To get there, use Hwy 4 and ride towards village of Ban Nam Khem. This small fishing village lost more than half of itspopulation of some 5,000 people when the tsunami struck in 2004. Out ofapproximately 1500 houses, only 49remained. There is a small memorialpark commemorating this disastrousevent.

p2020003-jpg.jpg

Just east of the memorial park is ferry pier to the island itself. It takes about 20 minutes to reach the island, price THB 100 covers motorcycle me and the passenger.

12357244_978306012229242_5527919011969002855_o-jpg.jpg

p2020006-jpg.jpg

pc140003-jpg.jpg

While on ferry might as well indulge into some Asian Roti Pancake.

pc140004-jpg.jpg

Goran Phuket

King of the road
   Autor
30 Mai 2017
Phuket
www.bmwoverlander.com
Koh Kho Khao is a fairly large island characterized mostly by flat, grassy sand flats towards its center and a sprawling area of mangroves and canals to the east. There are also some rubber plantations and cashew nut plantations. Beautiful beaches fringe the western and northern coasts.

Very good road runs the entire north south length of the island. In addition to the lovely peaceful beaches, some kayaking expeditions are offered in the canals, and there are bird watching tours in the north. There is also an elephant camp near the shore, and an old WW II airstrip to the north.

The people on the island are veryfriendly and live a simple life. There is a basic health care center, school and the Buddhist Temple. Visitors can explore the island by motorcycle. There are a few small agents which can provide mini sightseeing tours.

During the 14th - 15th Buddhist century, Kho Khao island was well known. Traders traveled by junk from Arabian countries,and made a stop over here because the island's geography made it a good shelter against any adverse weather inthe monsoon season.

According to history, in the year 2448 BE, during King Rama V reign, the city of Koh Kho Khao was set up. Otheradministrative changes took place in the years 2456 BE and 2509 BE. There was apparently a governor called Mr Kho Khao King, and the island was also called king island. Amphoe King Koh Kho Khao is in the north east of the island. There is archive data on the affairs ofKoh Kho Khao and the king island district court in 2509 BE. In those daysthe administrative area covered 932 sq km and included the island of Phra Thong.

Here pictured Hula Beach

p2020011-jpg.jpg

p2020012-jpg.jpg

p2020018-jpg.jpg

p2020019-jpg.jpg

Goran Phuket

King of the road
   Autor
30 Mai 2017
Phuket
www.bmwoverlander.com
Number of resorts are popping up on the island, some of them are quite expensive villa style accommodations with prices ranging from THB 9,000 to THB 42,000 per night! Quite luxurious but defeats the whole purpose of enjoying the natural appeal of the island....I rather stay at bamboo bungalow right at the deserted powdery golden sand beach....but hey, that's just me.

My favorite place is Hapla Cottage Resort.

Owners are husband and wife, Sai and Nong who built the place 7 years ago. Resort consists of 8 cottages. No A/C, TV or fridge though....hot water and wi-fi available. Price THB 1,500 per night, reservations can be done at booking.com.

pc140005-jpg.jpg

dsc_6261-jpg.jpg

Goran Phuket

King of the road
   Autor
30 Mai 2017
Phuket
www.bmwoverlander.com
Coordinates related to POI's mentioned in this topic:

Ban Nam Kem Tsunami Memorial:
8.85882, 98.26495

Mainland Ferry Pier to Koh Kho Khao:
8.86557, 98.27386

Ban Thung Tuk Ancient City:
8.89406, 98.28093

Hapla Beach Cottage:
8.93330, 98.25904

This concludes my report, hope it convinces you to check this place out.

Best regards, Goran.